The Coding Monkey

Monday, January 23, 2006

Interviewing Tips

A friend of mine recently sent me an email (along with his resume), saying that he was going to be out of work in a couple weeks. The company he was contracting with was not going continue his contract, because apparently the project he was working with wasn't going forward. My consulting company is pretty good, and they offer a good referral bonus to consultants, so I'm usually pretty good about recommending my company, and asking my friends how happy my friends are where they're working.

Anyway, I forwarded his resume on to my resource manager, and my friend was interviewed. He went through the gauntlet pretty well, and eventually was made an offer. My manager sent me an email thanking me, and forwarded a comment from one of the people who interviewed him. One of the things that impressed him the most (and very well could have lead to his offer) was the fact that he sent a thank you note after the interview. He said it was the only thank you note he can remember receiving in dozens of interviews.

I remember that little bit of advice from our career counselors in college, when they were prepping us for interviewing when we graduated. They were right. It doesn't have to be much. Hell, it doesn't even have to be a hand written note. Send an email. Be sincere. It works.

1 Comments:

  • I like your blog...good stuff.

    I agree, sending a thank you note...a WRITTEN thank you note speaks volume. Any monkey can whip out a quick email but a real, typwritten letter can go a long way. One person I know suggests a written thank you note. It is more personal and "warm". Good advice.

    By Blogger The Cube Monkey, at March 02, 2006 11:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home