The Coding Monkey

Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Even More Pronunciation

I had this discussion with someone at work a few days ago. If you're a programmer, then you've seen the built-in data type char. So how do you pronounce that? I think most people pronounce it one of two ways:

Char as in char broiled. In other words, pronounce it phonetically, which is how I pronounce it.

Car as in automobile. This one kind of annoys me. The thinking is that char is short for character, so you should pronounce the ch as a hard k. But if that's your thinking, then shouldn't you pronounce it like...

Care as in care package. After all, character is pronounced care-acter. But if you're going to go that far, then why not...

Chair? Maybe I'm taking this too far, after all... nobody says chair-acter.

Now then, my mom is really good at English, but if I asked her, then she'd say...

Shar... because her name is Charlotte which is pronounced Sharlotte, and her nickname is Char (pronounced Shar).

Isn't it funny how such a simple topic can take on a life of its own?

1 Comments:

  • Great post, I got a kick out of it.

    I'm looking to break out into a consultant role here in Spokane, WA as a report writer in the healthcare industry which I'm currently employed in now.

    I'm very interested in hearing how you took the plunge from day job to consultant, the challenges in doing that and how you are successful today.

    email: olesharpie@gmail.com
    blog: http://automagicreporting.blogspot.com/

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at December 14, 2005 11:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home