The Coding Monkey

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

What Motivates You?

My boss at the consulting company sent me a questionnaire asking me to place 10 things in order of importance as far as what motivates me. There was a list of 10 things like base salary, time off, interesting work, etc. with fancy little combo boxes next to each one so I could put a number next to them. Someone in HR I'm sure put in a good amount of time figuring out how forms in Word works.

This is probably the one major problem with working for a company you never go to. I'm always on the client site, so I rarely see my actual boss. That means that my boss has to rely on silly questionnaires to get a sense of what is important to me, along with the occasional lunch.

Worse yet, I'm not sure what I sent is accurate. First of all, I didn't put a lot of thought into it, since I forgot about it until the day it was due. Secondly, I'm not sure I can rate those items from 1 to 10. Usually I have an idea of what I want from each category, and then view the sum total in aggregate. Rarely if ever do I say to myself, "Well the pay isn't that great, but the PTO is fantastic. However, since I rate base pay as more important, I can't take the job."

That's just not how I think.

1 Comments:

  • More often than not, these surveys seem to serve only to justify some lousy policy decision.

    If everyone ranks salary above PTO they can cut your PTO when the budget gets tight, just so long as everyone gets their 2% raises.

    Then again, your employer may have good intentions. In any case, this survey comes from week 3 of "Management 101." And, you're right: someone wasted a lot of time learning to do stupid human tricks in Word.

    By Blogger Aaron, at May 16, 2006 11:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home